Here is usually the part where I tell you all a humourous anecdote about where the idea for a recipe came from.
This time, that isn’t going to happen.
No matter how humourous my anecdote would be, it would seem like I created this sandwich to be the WORLD’S MOST CALORIFIC DINNER.
No, seriously. I take an innocent sandwich. I add buttery, garlicky mushrooms (with extra butter). I add cream cheese (somehow thinking that ‘light’ will make it OK). And then I COAT IT IN EGG AND FRY IT.
Lardy as it may be, its delicious. I recommend trying it sometime soon. Have a salad the next day or something. It’s worth it.
Line up the ingredients. Note, that alongside the bread, mushrooms, egg, garlic, salt and pepper, there is a whole lotta lard; cream cheese, oil and butter. Embrace it. It is gonna taste gooooood.
Slice the mushrooms and set to one side.
Melt a heaped teaspoon of butter in a pan…
Grate some garlic. If you grate it, the garlic flavour is super strong, which I LOVE. If you don’t want to stink out your friends and family, just squash it, or use less, or something. I like the garlic, so your predicament is alien to me.
Add the garlic to the pan with the butter…
And then the mushrooms, along with some salt and pepper.
While the mushrooms are simmering down, slice the bread. Take a slightly out of focus picture…
And then spread with cream cheese.
Once your mushrooms are nicely cooked, place atop the cheese…
And top with the other slice of bread. Sort of squash it all down a bit. Squish squash.
Crack the egg into a bowl with some salt and pepper…
And whisk it well.
Before dipping the sandwich into it. Make sure the sandwich is totally covered. You want it eggy. Egg. Not on your face, but in your sandwich, as it were.
Heat some oil in a pan…
And fry the sandwich….
Turning halfway through.
Serve. With a salad,
to salvage your soul.
Heart attack sandwich
Quantities serve 1. Cooking time 15 minutes.
2 slices bread
1 clove garlic
1 tsp butter
50g cream cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Slice the mushrooms.
2. Grate the garlic.
3. Heat the butter in a pan, add the garlic.
4. Add the mushrooms and some salt and pepper and stir well.
5. While the mushrooms are cooking, slice the bread and spread the cream cheese.
6. Once the mushrooms have cooked, put on top of one of the slices of bread. Sandwich the other piece of bread on top. Squash.
7. Crack the egg into a bowl with some salt and pepper. Whisk well.
8. Dip the sandwich into the egg, making sure it is well coated.
9. Cover the base of a frying pan with oil and heat well.
10. Fry the sandwich for 3-4 minutes each side.